Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Not just a melon

Its hot, 28.5 degrees in the apartment, so that means very little cooking unless I'd like to turn the whole apartment into a slow cooking oven. Luckily there is melon, not just any melon, but provenance assured by laser marking melon! The origins of fruit and vegetables is important in Italy but this is the first time I have seen laser tattooed fruit. Talk about indelible branding!
As soon as I picked it up at the market I went home and put the code into the company's website expecting to see a photo of young man in overalls happily holding my melon. But….my code doesn't seem to work! I guess they sell so much melon that they don't have time to update their database. 
Not only was this melon incredibly delicious but it was so fragrant it was like I had bought flowers. 
It is a Jolli melon grown in the area of Mantova and it is only available between the end of May and the beginning of September.
I sent off an email to the company asking about the traceability code and they took all of 20 minutes to respond that my melon was grown in the village of Sermide. It was planted and fertilized with manure in October 15 2010. It was treated with lady bugs to protect it from aphids, and sulfur powder to protect it from fungus. And that they hope to have the tracing function working on their website as soon as possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment